Installing Ruby DevKit on Windows
July 13, 2011
Posted by on
When I upgrading Cucumber 1.0.1 on Windows 7 this morning, i got an error while it’s trying to install the compile version of json gem, it because in Cucumber 1.0.x, json have become a dependence. From this thread we can see, aslak hellesoy did not test this on Win platform before release http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cucumber/6669, so we need to install Ruby DevKit for compiling the json C library, okay, now following the steps:
1. Download DevKit from http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/
2. Unzip file and cd <DEVKIT_INSTALL_DIR>
3. Run “ruby dk.rb init” to create the configure file config.yml,
4. [optional] ruby dk.rb review to review the list of Rubies to be enhanced to use the DevKit and verify the changes you made to it are correct.
5. finally, ruby dk.rb install to DevKit enhance your installed Rubies. This step installs (or updates) an operating_system.rb file into the relevant directory needed to implement a RubyGems pre_install hook and a devkit.rb helper library file into <RUBY_INSTALL_DIR>\lib\ruby\site_ruby. NOTE: you may need to use the –force option to update (with backup of the originals) the above mentioned files as discussed at the SFX DevKit upgrade FAQ entry.